Twin Cities Marathon returns in October, with some pandemic modifications

The Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon will take place in October with some pandemic safety precautions set in place, officials announced Tuesday.

The 2020 race between Minneapolis and St. Paul was canceled last year because of the global coronavirus outbreak. It would have been the 40th annual running of the marathon.

Calling it a “COVID-safe marathon weekend,” planners said some of the changes they will implement for this year’s events on Oct. 1-4 include:

  • Reduced field sizes in all races
  • Capping the number of runners at 4,000
  • Requiring masks for all participants except while they are in the race
  • Social distancing, with spectating discouraged and spectator access limited in certain areas
  • Reduced touchpoint whenever possible

In addition, a new cancellation policy will be in place in which participants can receive a partial cash refund, so the organizers and runners share the risk if the event has to be canceled.

“We’re optimistic we will be running in-person in October,” marathon organizer Twin Cities in Motion said in a news release Tuesday. “We’re working closely with our medical director, crowd science experts and with guidance from appropriate government agencies to design a safe event.”

 

Read More