The Minnesota Department of Health last week suspended the liquor license of Patrick McGovern’s Pub on West Seventh Street in St. Paul for violating the governor’s executive order closing bars and restaurants to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
Inspectors who visited Patrick McGovern’s on Dec. 28 found that patrons were being served in the bar’s enclosed patio, and officials issued the bar a 60-day license suspension on Dec. 29, according to a news release issued Tuesday night by MDH.
The owners have since closed the patio to become compliant, the news release said.
No one answered the phone at Patrick McGovern’s late Tuesday night.
“Unfortunately, we are temporarily closed for takeout, curbside and delivery,” a message on the bar’s website said. “We will keep you updated as much as we can. We will be ready to take care of our guests again soon!”
Patrick McGovern’s is the first St. Paul establishment to have its license suspended for violating the COVID-19 restrictions, which Gov. Tim Walz is expected to ease Wednesday.
At least 10 other bars and restaurants across the state have also received suspensions for similar violations, including Alibi Drinkery in Lakeville, which has defied repeated warnings from the state to shut down its dining room.
Regulators are now threatening Alibi with a five-year suspension if its owners continue to flout the restrictions.