There were 34 people killed in homicides in St. Paul in 2020, which matches the record set in the city in 1992.
Here’s a look at where the killings occurred, who the victims were and the status of the cases. All except three have been solved, according to police.
1. Carl Dobbs Jr., 31, and Trayvon Titus Anderson allegedly exchanged words at Johnny Baby’s bar on University Avenue on Jan. 1. Soon after, surveillance footage showed Anderson pulling out a gun and firing it repeatedly at Dobbs’ car, according to a criminal complaint. Anderson pleaded guilty to murder.
2. People were gathered at a home to watch the Vikings game on Jan. 12. Cornella Roybal, 39, stepped between her cousin, Zenas Farkarlun, and a man he was allegedly assaulting. Farkarlun punched Roybal in the face and head, and she was later found dead from traumatic head injuries, according to a criminal complaint. Farkarlun pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
3. Larnell Brown, 42, reportedly met with Darrion Isaiah Gresham to buy marijuana from him on Jan. 21. Brown and a friend pulled out guns and robbed Gresham, after which prosecutors say Gresham shot Brown. Gersham pleaded guilty to murder.
4. Marcus Johnson, 19, got into a car to sell marijuana and two people inside pointed guns at him on Feb. 15. He tried to exit the vehicle, but he was shot, according to murder charges filed against a 16- and a 17-year-old.
5. Police responded to a report of a domestic dispute on Feb. 26 and found Abigail Simpson, 21, who was pronounced dead from multiple traumatic injuries. Her boyfriend, Terrion Lamar Sherman, was charged with murder.
6. After Monique Robbins, 28, was discovered unresponsive outside her apartment building on Feb. 26, an autopsy showed she’d been asphyxiated. DeMarea Dajour Clay, who was Robbins’ boyfriend, has been charged with murder.
7. When officers responded to a report of shots fired near a gas station on April 18, witnesses reported that possible victims had left in a van. The vehicle was found about two miles away and two people inside had been shot. One of them, Michael Parrish, 20, was pronounced dead at the scene. The case remains unsolved.
8. Police called to an apartment on April 23 about an unconscious baby found Zion Chea, 4-weeks-old. He died at the hospital and was found to have multiple internal injuries. When police questioned his father, Orancy Chea, he said he’d lost his temper and thrown his crying infant son on the floor, according to a murder charge against Chea.
9. Anthony Boetler, 21, was killed in a drive-by shooting on April 25. Two people in the vehicle with Boelter reported he had a long-standing feud with some people who lived with Boelter’s ex-girlfriend in a home near the intersection. Bobby Leroy Woody and Olando Franklin Jr. were charged with aiding and abetting murder.
10. Darius Van, 28, and Ts’John Thomas Reed got into a disagreement over their places in line at a gas station, which turned into a fight and Reed shooting Van on May 1, according to murder charges. Reed, who had a permit to carry a gun, told police he had acted in self-defense.
11. After a May 1 minor traffic collision, Douglas Lewis, 39, and Anthony Trifiletti, exchanged words. Trifiletti shot Lewis, prosecutors said in a murder charge. Trifiletti, who also had a permit to carry a gun, told police that he shot Lewis because he was scared Lewis was going for a gun. Police did not find a weapon on Lewis.
12. Witnesses reported that Kenneth Hayes Jr., 28, was playing a dice game on May 15 when a man, identified as Cary Lee Rush, took a drink from his bottle. A confrontation ensued, with Hayes pushing Rush from behind. Rush shot Hayes, according to murder charges.
13. Police responded to a report on May 23 of a man not breathing in a house and found Cary Schmidt, 60. Neighbors said they were told by police that he had been shot. No one has been arrested in Schmidt’s homicide.
14. James McInley Cannon Jr., 32, rode a bike to a house to look for his girlfriend, who’d arrived minutes earlier on May 29. Surveillance video showed him speaking with a man outside the home when they heard a voice, looked toward the home’s front door and Cannon suddenly was shot, according to a criminal complaint charging Nathan Sims with murder.
15. Ashli Johnson, 29, was shot in a vehicle on June 3. Prosecutors charged Clinton Roosevelt Delaney with murder, saying he was upset that Johnson had told his girlfriend she was pregnant with his child. Johnson was about one month pregnant.
16. Nia Black, 23, went with friends to the Lamplighter Lounge on June 13, but the bar was full and they weren’t allowed inside. In the parking lot, Black became involved in a verbal then a physical altercation with another woman that “turned into a widespread brawl,” according to a murder charge. As Black and her friends drove away, gunshots rang out and Black was killed. James Jones Fields was charged with murder.
17. Taquita Williams, 25, and Dominique D. Taylor were playfully interacting on July 1 when a gun in Taylor’s waistband fell to the ground and went off, according to a criminal complaint filed against Taylor. Williams was shot and died at the hospital soon after. Taylor pleaded guilty to manslaughter.
18. Police responded to a report of a shooting on July 15 and found Bajuan Adams, 25, dead. A man told police that he’d been in a fight with Adams and then heard shots. Two other men, Quincy Rashawn Adams and Kemar Anthony Hawkins, were charged with murder.
19. Lay Hae‘s 16-year-old nephew told police he was mad that his uncle was drinking on July 15 with a man he referred to as his “grandpa.” He said he tried to trip Lay Hae, 45, and his uncle swung at him. He grabbed Lay Hae’s neck in a chokehold position and kept it there until his uncle stopped moving, according to a murder charge.
20. A fight between two brothers ended with Davant Coppage, 17, being fatally stabbed on Aug. 18. Their mother said Eric James Young, 24, confronted his younger brother about being disrespectful toward her and they fought, according to a criminal complaint charging Young with murder.
21. The day before Teresa Bear Ribs, 61, was shot in a backyard on Aug. 19, her daughter’s boyfriend was killed in Minneapolis. Her family doesn’t believe Bear Ribs was the intended target of the shooting that killed her. Christopher Malik Todd and Maurice June were charged with murder.
22. Jorge Batres, 17, was found shot in a vehicle on Sept. 1. Witnesses told police that they heard gunshots following what appeared to be a struggle, and observed an individual fleeing from the scene with a gun, according to a juvenile petition. A 14-year-old pleaded guilty to murder.
23. When Annamarie Wagener, 41, was discovered shot in a street on Sept. 3, her cellphone and handgun were missing. She’d recently obtained a permit for the gun because she didn’t feel safe, according to a criminal complaint. Antoine Lorenzo Powell was charged with Wagener’s murder more than two months later. The complaint didn’t provide a motive for the shooting.
24. An argument in a home on Sept. 12 escalated to a shooting and Ervin Dukes III, 31, was killed. Daniel Marcel Sheppard was charged with murder. A witness reported that Sheppard felt Dukes “had disrespected him” and pulled out a gun, according to the criminal complaint.
25. Two people were shot outside Billy’s on Grand on Sept. 27 and one of them, Albert Dwayne Stevens, 29, died. Demond Adante Dawson was charged with murder. Witnesses said Stevens and people in a car got into an argument, after which the car returned to the area and Stevens was shot.
26. A fight on Oct. 10 ended with a woman fatally shooting her cousin, LaWanda Wade, 44, according to a court document charging Nicole Love Smith with murder. A witness said Love was not trying to shoot Wade, but a person who Wade was in a dispute with.
27. Izavier Isaac Olguin, 20, was shot to death near his home on Oct. 13, in what a relative believed was a robbery. Police say the suspect died in a Minneapolis shooting soon after Olguin was killed.
28. Ruben Paramo, 42, was shot and killed in his home on Nov. 3. Roger Lee Voss III, who was charged with murder, told police he went to buy drugs and the person tried to rob him.
29. Donte Combs, 23, died Nov. 6 after he was found shot on a sidewalk. A witness said Justyn Tyler Hosley accused Combs of trying to sell them fake pills. A male, identified as 17-year-old Jesse Duckett Jr., then shot Combs, according to a juvenile petition. Duckett and Hosley were charged with aiding and abetting murder.
30. Leroy Spivey, 34, pulled up to the Frogtown Market on Nov. 14. Edward Lee Grayson had arrived nearly an hour earlier and parked in front. He and Spivey argued and Grayson fatally shot him, according to a criminal complaint charging Grayson with murder.
31. Elijah Watson, 17, was driving a stolen vehicle when he handed a gun to a passenger, Javeon Norbor-Mayon Kohene, also 17, on Dec. 14, according to a juvenile petition. Kohene wouldn’t return the weapon to Watson, they argued and Watson was fatally shot, said the court document charging Kohene with murder.
32. Jeff Mintz, 55, called 911 after he was shot while driving on Snelling Avenue near University Avenue. He died Dec. 17. His son said he believed it was a random incident. Police continue to investigate and haven’t announced an arrest in the case.
33. The boyfriend of a woman who Todd Gerleman was friends with assaulted her and shot at her on Dec. 21, according to a criminal complaint charging Glenn Lee Burton with murder. A bullet struck Gerleman, 46, and then Burton shot him at point-blank range, prosecutors said.
34. Jayse Wilson, 2, accidentally shot himself on Dec. 23 with a gun that was left out in his apartment, according to a criminal complaint filed against Earl Williams, who lived in the apartment. He was charged with manslaughter and possession of a firearm by a felon.