Even an ice fishing tournament can go digital. The St. Paul Winter Carnival’s ice fishing tournament starts Jan. 1 and runs through the end of the carnival on Feb. 7. Anglers can join the contest using their phone camera and the FishDonkey mobile app.
Cost is $10 per angler. You can enter as many categories as you like, but win just once. There are cash prizes of $500 and $250, as well as other prizes including a new ice auger, guided fishing trips on Lake Minnetonka and the St. Croix River, and a Minnesota Wild retro jersey.
Prizes will be awarded in categories including:
- King of Winter — Largest Walleye
- Largest (in length) for Northern Pike, Bass, Crappie, Sunfish, Perch
- The Wildcard (any other fish)
- The Pan Fish Triple Play (1 crappie, 1 sunny, and 1 perch)
- Winter Carnival Super Fan — Include a 2021 Winter Carnival button in your fish submission photos and one winner will be chosen from all the entries for the prize.
- Kids Catch — Two random winners will be selected from the Kid’s Catch category (ages 12 and younger) each week. Random drawings will occur on Sundays during the Tournament.
All fish entered in the tournament will be photographed, measured and recorded with the FishDonkey mobile app. To join the tournament, download the FishDonkey app through the App Store on your mobile phone and search “Winter Carnival.” Fish caught from any public body of water in the state of Minnesota are eligible. The app will have leaderboard updates.
For more info: wintercarnival.com/events/ice-fishing-tournament. The 135th St. Paul Winter Carnival is Jan. 28-Feb. 7.